Beginner question - getting started with ALSA on a Fedora Core 6 server
david feldman
2007-01-08 21:25:22 UTC
My server machine is now Fedora Core 6 (just a web/ftp/windows file server -
no desktop, X, etc.), and I'd like to make use of it's sound port using
arecord and aplay.

/var/log/dmesg includes the line:

isapnp: Card 'CS4236 Audio'

and the following RPMs are installed:

alsa-lib-1.0.12-2.fc6
alsa-utils-1.0.12-3.fc6

###

When I try aplay -l (to list sound devices), I get this:

# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:222: no soundcards found...

There is no file /etc/asound.conf, which I gather is normally present.

###

I'm having trouble finding a starting point to get to where aplay/arecord
can be used - where should I start?

Thanks,

Dave

Type your favorite song.  Get a customized station.  Try MSN Radio powered
by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
Sergei Steshenko
2007-01-08 21:33:16 UTC
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:25:22 -0700
Post by david feldman
My server machine is now Fedora Core 6 (just a web/ftp/windows file server -
no desktop, X, etc.), and I'd like to make use of it's sound port using
arecord and aplay.
isapnp: Card 'CS4236 Audio'
alsa-lib-1.0.12-2.fc6
alsa-utils-1.0.12-3.fc6
###
# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:222: no soundcards found...
There is no file /etc/asound.conf, which I gather is normally present.
###
I'm having trouble finding a starting point to get to where aplay/arecord
can be used - where should I start?
Thanks,
Dave
Type your favorite song.  Get a customized station.  Try MSN Radio powered
by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
Have you tried as root ?

--Sergei.
Visit my http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/ open source project.
david feldman
2007-01-08 21:46:49 UTC
Thank you for the quick message!

Yes, I am trying this as root.

Dave
Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] Beginner question - getting started with ALSA on a
Fedora Core 6 server
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:33:16 +0200
Post by david feldman
by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
Have you tried as root ?
--Sergei.
--
Visit my http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/ open source project.
Find sales, coupons, and free shipping, all in one place!  MSN Shopping
Sales & Deals
http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=198,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200639
Bill Unruh
2007-01-08 22:08:06 UTC
Post by david feldman
Thank you for the quick message!
Yes, I am trying this as root.
First you have to make sure that you have the module loaded which acts as
the driver for the card. I do not know which module it is that controls
your card, but it sounds like it is not loaded.

lsmod|grep snd
What does this list?

ls /proc/asound
Post by david feldman
Dave
Fedora Core 6 server
david feldman
2007-01-08 22:46:29 UTC
Thanks Bill and Sergei!
Post by Bill Unruh
lsmod|grep snd
What does this list?
Empty - no module with "snd" in it!
Post by Bill Unruh
ls /proc/asound
asound does not exist in /proc.

###

Here is /etc/modprobe.conf.

The first three entires are due to my existing hardware, two Ethernet and
one SCSI port.

I do not understand the last line "remove snd-cs4236.....":

alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 e100
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-cs4236 index=0
remove snd-cs4236 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-cs4236

Bill Unruh
2007-01-08 23:31:55 UTC
Post by david feldman
Thanks Bill and Sergei!
Post by Bill Unruh
lsmod|grep snd
What does this list?
Empty - no module with "snd" in it!
OK, that means that you have no sound card driver loaded. It is not
surprising then that you have no sound.

If what is below is your /etc/modprobe.conf, then just do
modprobe snd-card-0
Now, do lsmod|grep snd again. If still nothing shows up do
dmesg|tail -20
and look for error messages from the attempt to load the sound card driver.

Maybe you do not have a CS4236 sound card?

If you now have snd- modules loaded, try alsamixer to turn on the volume
(it is always off by default) and then use aplay and arecord.
david feldman
2007-01-08 23:42:52 UTC
Much progress!

I went back to /etc/modprobe.conf and edited the last line to read:

# remove snd-cs4236.....

I tried modprobe snd-cs4236, and then I found better results with lsmod |
grep snd:

# lsmod | grep snd
snd_cs4236 23145 0
snd_opl3_lib 14913 1 snd_cs4236
snd_hwdep 13637 1 snd_opl3_lib
snd_cs4236_lib 20161 1 snd_cs4236
snd_mpu401_uart 13249 1 snd_cs4236
snd_rawmidi 28737 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_cs4231_lib 29765 2 snd_cs4236,snd_cs4236_lib
snd_seq_dummy 8133 0
snd_seq_oss 37057 0
snd_seq_midi_event 11841 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 57137 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 12621 5
snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_o
ss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 46561 0
snd_mixer_oss 20673 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 80453 3 snd_cs4236_lib,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 27077 4 snd_opl3_lib,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 57029 14
snd_cs4236,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_cs4236_li
b,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 14113 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 14281 2 snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm

Now the commands aplay, arecord, and so on appear to function.

arecord -d 5 >file.wav produces a file, however, the file plays back as
silence.

I think my remaining problem is around setting amixer properly.

I looked at amixer trying to figure out how to enable input from the
microphone jack of the sound device (on this machine, it's routed to a
connector on the front panel with a microphone icon, and when I plug a sound
source in, I can hear the sound on the machine's internal speaker.) This is
going to take more reading, because there are so many individual
parameters...

Thanks,

Dave
Fedora Core 6
Bill Unruh
2007-01-09 00:22:52 UTC
Post by david feldman
Much progress!

Good.
Post by david feldman
Now the commands aplay, arecord, and so on appear to function.
arecord -d 5 >file.wav produces a file, however, the file plays back as
silence.
YOu forgot to run alsamixer first and make sure that the
volume controls were non-zero. Alsa defaults to all volume sliders at 0,
which means no sound. That is so that y ou do not destroy your expensive
speakers or ears as the volume blasts on.

Use aplay first to make sure you can play sounds. There are loads of .wav
files on your system you can try.
Post by david feldman
I think my remaining problem is around setting amixer properly.
I looked at amixer trying to figure out how to enable input from the
microphone jack of the sound device (on this machine, it's routed to a
connector on the front panel with a microphone icon, and when I plug a sound
source in, I can hear the sound on the machine's internal speaker.) This is
going to take more reading, because there are so many individual
parameters...
No just run alsamixer and start playing around. Note that you want to look
at both the capture and play pages of alsamixer.
Post by david feldman
Thanks,
Dave
Fedora Core 6
david feldman
2007-01-09 03:49:47 UTC
Thanks again Bill,

Alsamixer works fine and will be better at this stage, I agree... I need to
do some testing and such; will let you know how it pans out. I discovered a
different pair of audio connectors in the back of the machine (line in/out?)
and in any event I agree that playing audio is a good first test.

Dave
Fedora Core 6
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:22:52 -0800 (PST)
Post by david feldman
Much progress!
Good.
Post by david feldman
I think my remaining problem is around setting amixer properly.
I looked at amixer trying to figure out how to enable input from the
microphone jack of the sound device (on this machine, it's routed to a
connector on the front panel with a microphone icon, and when I plug a
sound
source in, I can hear the sound on the machine's internal speaker.) This
is
going to take more reading, because there are so many individual
parameters...
No just run alsamixer and start playing around. Note that you want to look
at both the capture and play pages of alsamixer.
Post by david feldman
Thanks,
Dave
Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] Beginner question - getting started with ALSA on
Fedora Core 6
david feldman
2007-01-09 23:37:45 UTC
Hi Bill, Sergei,

Thanks to all of your help, my server is now handling sound. The alsamixer
program was indicating that capture was not enabled on the input path needed
for my system. Once this was fixed, I can now record sound using arecord,
which was my project plan.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Dave
Fedora Core 6
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:22:52 -0800 (PST)
Post by david feldman
Much progress!
Good.
Post by david feldman
I think my remaining problem is around setting amixer properly.
I looked at amixer trying to figure out how to enable input from the
microphone jack of the sound device (on this machine, it's routed to a
connector on the front panel with a microphone icon, and when I plug a
sound
source in, I can hear the sound on the machine's internal speaker.) This
is
going to take more reading, because there are so many individual
parameters...
No just run alsamixer and start playing around. Note that you want to look
at both the capture and play pages of alsamixer.
Post by david feldman
Thanks,
Dave
Fedora Core 6